Tuesday, November 15

die young with me: a memoir


Let's take a few moments to chat about the next book you're going to want to read.  


First, I need to say that Die Young with Me is not the type of book I would normally read. As a matter of fact, I only read this book because I personally know one of the author's relatives. 

A few things worth mentioning. It is full of foul language. I don't particularly care for hearing or reading such words, so I used a substitute to read in place of them when they appeared. It's not pretty - meaning that it is a very real account of what a male high school teenager might experience and think. I can assure you, there were times that I was most definitely out of my comfort zone.
 
I can also say that once I started reading it, I didn't want to put it down. It is very well written and incredibly engaging - the author effectively draws you in to his world so much that you feel as though you are actually there in the flesh. His forthright and unfiltered perspective is not only humbling, but it's also inspiring. 

I sincerely have a deeper compassion for those battling cancer than I did before I read his story. It also serves as a reminder that it could be you or your loved one in the blink of an eye. Life is precious and a gift from God. May we live it wisely.

Below are two excerpts that I grabbed from Goodreads

In the tradition of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars and Me and Earl and the Dying Girl comes the incredibly moving true story of a teenager diagnosed with cancer and how music was the one thing that helped him get through his darkest days...

But their plans are cut short when Rob is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer that has already progressed to Stage Four. Not only are his dreams of punk rock stardom completely shredded, there is a very real threat that this is one battle that can’t be won.
  
I hope you'll add Die Young with Me to your short list. And when you've finished reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Enjoy!
 
~Trista~

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars, but as a Christian I think I might not be 100% comfortable with foul language. Do you think I should check out this book? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't sugar coat it, it was hard to ignore. But for me, I wanted to read it because I knew the family. So, I substituted better words for the not so nice words and focused on the story. I thought the story was worth overlooking the language. But I can say, this is not something I would dare make a habit of - reading books with foul language because as a Christian, no it's probably not a good testimony. Hope that helps you decide!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this sounds like a really interesting read. Bummer about the foul language. But I like the idea of making up different words in place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this was a hard read! I bawled through a fault in the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - that sounds like a really interesting read - definitely going to look into it! xo, biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good! I wanna check this out! Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a great read, definitely need to add to my list. Thank you so much for the great review <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I enjoy reading each and every one!

I hope you have a fabulous day! And stay classy through the chaos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...