Friday, January 6

friday favorites: a few books and a royal oops

Happy Friday, Friends! Our first week back to the grind has been a bit of a challenging one. The boys have struggled with getting to bed at a decent time, therefore mornings have been a bear. Plus, I can't seem to find my brain or snag enough zzz's, so I feel like I'm functioning in slow motion. Combine the two together, and I'm pretty sure we're our own version of The Walking Dead (have never watched it, by the way, but it seemed like a fair comparison). Bring on the weekend!

I suppose it's no secret that I draft these lovely Friday posts on Thursday nights, and since it's quite possible that I might just fall asleep at the keyboard this round, I'm going to recap my favorites from the week as briefly as possible. Promise.

I started reading The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis to Little J this week. We're reading one chapter at night before bed. I wasn't sure how'd he take to chapter books, but so far, he is loving it, and so am I. It has quickly become one of my favorite parts of the week.


I managed to finish Janet Evanovich's Turbo Twenty-Three. It was okay. There were a little more fireworks when it came to Stephanie, Morelli, and Ranger, but nevertheless I think I'm done. The series has lost it's edge. If there is ever a final book, I may read that, but otherwise, no thank you.

We did end up with a couple of snow days. I looked out my window to see these beauties just basking in the sunshine snow. I ventured out to take their picture, and they started to stand up. I think they thought I had food. Sorry, charlies.


I shared my one word for the year and my goals for 2017 earlier in the week. Did you choose a word? If so, what was it?
  
Oh, and I started The Crown. I hate love you all - every one of you who recommended the show. This very well may be one of the contributors to my lack of sleep. I am addicted. I have no time for TV, but here I am glued to it after the boys are in bed. I do have a small funny... I had watched the first two episodes and I was telling my husband all about the show. He started telling me who some of the people were and predicting what I was about to tell him. I was finally like, how do you know all of this? As he mocked me, he informed me that the show was about the real royal family - THE Queen Elizabeth. I was gobsmacked. I did not put two and two together. Now, I'm even more hooked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/

I have high expectations for the weekend. I want to read more of The Chronicles of Narnia with Little J and watch as many episodes of The Crown as possible. I need to catch up on Scorpion and NCIS too. Little J does have a basketball game on Saturday, and I'll have to make my weekly grocery run, but aside from those things and church on Sunday, I'm hoping to stay inside mostly, drink some hot chocolate, and stay warm.

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Linking up with Christina | Five on Friday, Erika | Friday Favorites, Karli | Oh Hey Friday, and Katie | High Five for Friday

~Trista~

Don't miss a post! Follow along: Bloglovin', Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Friend Connect, Email Subscribe.

22 comments:

  1. I was a Crown junkie too and finished it up a couple weeks before Christmas! I can't believe you didn't know it was a drama-documentary! That is too funny! I'm not sure where you are located but if you're getting snow this weekend too - read up and sip slowly! Get some rest! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved The Crown! And I think that's a sweet tradition with the nightly reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live under a rock. Never heard of The Crown, will have to check it out. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday, Trista! I love that you're reading through The Chronicles of Narnia with your little guy! That was my favorite as a child! I'm sure reading through it together will create such sweet memories for you both! The Crown is on my must-see list, but I've yet to start binging it - lol! Loved your funny story about it and your amazement that your hubby knew what you were about to tell him! So fun that finding out it's about the real royal family made it even better for you! Can't wait to tune in soon!! Hope you enjoy a cozy first weekend of the year!
    xo - Brenda // Chatting Over Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow days are the best days! Oh my, does this bring back memories, The chronicles of Narnia was one of my favorite series ever and I read it to all my boys. So the boys probably wouldn't want me to tell you this, but I read to them even why they were in high school. While I was in college, I'll never forget one of my education classes mentioning a person is never too old to be read too. I think they always appreciated it. I hope you have the best, cozy and fun filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny about your husband trying to pull a fast one on you!! My husband and I loved the crown and I'm so excited for the next season!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, now that you've told me she doesn't pick one in 23 either I'm definitely glad I stopped reading! That's so frustrating. I just started the first episode of the Crown and think I'm going to love it! I can't wait to watch more episodes of it this weekend either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I'm not a cow...now there's a sentence you don't hear everyday๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. I love how you can see where there's no snow where they'd been laying down. Brrrr, makes me cold to think about standing out in the snow all day. Happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute are those snowy cows! And I need to finally jump on the train that is The Crown, I see a binge-athon in my future this weekend! Happy Friday <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was obsessed with The Crown too! I binge watched the entire thing the week before Vhristmas, so the timing wasn't the greatest. I found myself reading on Wikipedia to find out more about the Royal family. It is so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am reading The Chronicles of Narnia with my son as well! I didn't realize that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (which we are currently reading) is book 2 though! Oops! My husband and I have been watching The Crown as well. We've only seen the first three episodes though, so a little behind! I am still working on my word for the year. I think balance is a great word. I'm torn between a few and will narrow it down this weekend. Stopping by from H54F! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious!!! I'm dying that your husband was predicting the crown for you!! Ha. I watched the first episode but I need to carve out time for the rest!! Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I NEEEED to start The Crown. I've had it recommended by so many people! Amen on what no sleep and feeling like a zombie. Have THE BEST weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great weekend-stay inside, keep warm and drink cocoa! Those are pretty much my plans too! I love winter but not when the temps are dipping into the negatives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you are reading chapter books together! My Dad and I did the same thing and I have such wonderful memories of it. I think that is the kind of thing that stays with you forever, and great choice on the books. My sister swore by The Crown too. I need to get on that! I was looking for something to get hooked on. We've got a ton of snow here too, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also loved The Crown, and I'm so happy there are several more seasons in the works. Did you know they will change the actors after the next season so they can pick older actors? I'm stopping by from High Five for Friday, and I'm glad I clicked over to your blog. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am CRACKING UP that you were so shocked at your husband predicting the show. That is SO something I would do! I've heard great things about The Crown and I want to watch it, but I'm glad to read this beforehand so I know it's the real thing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seriously cannot tell you how many times I've fallen asleep while trying to write a Friday Favorite post!! I have actually read a post the next morning and been like...what?!! Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We may have to try Narnia at our house- my son loves the movies; I'm just not a fantasy person. If you haven't seen the movie, The King's Speech, I highly recommend it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My babies won't go to bed either!! Must be the moon or something!
    Weirdly, this is the first year that I have heard people choose a word for the year (and I love it). I have been thinking about a word that would go along with my bible verse, & I think I have decided to choose "serve." I hope I can use any of the gifts God blessed me with to serve others & find new ways to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE LOVE LOVE The Crown seriously we put our kids to bed and got to work watching ASAP every night until we finished. I can't believe we have to wait nearly a year for Season 2...its like Downton ALL over again! Also my son has been asking to read chapter books at bedtime too...we are reading a short one with pictures to start ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am LOVING The CROWN! Can't get enough. I haven't watched it in a few days just so I don't run out of episodes too fast ;) Hilarious about your husband "predicting" what came next! I've always been fascinated by the Royal Family and this just makes me love it all even more!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I enjoy reading each and every one!

I hope you have a fabulous day! And stay classy through the chaos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...