Friday, December 16

my favorite books of 2016

It is with great relief that I welcome the arrival of Friday. Our family has been battling the stomach bug, and it has made for a long week. The nasty little thing arrived on Monday afternoon and began picking off one family member right after the other. It wasn't until Thursday that we were all back in our proper places at school and work. God is good.

As a result of the stomach bug's visit, I really have very little that's worth sharing with you this week. So instead of boring you with the details of how we fought the bug and how I didn't earn the Mom of the Week award, I thought I'd chat about my favorite books of 2016.


First, here's a list of what I read. I went back through my Kindle and started at the beginning of the year and worked my way through until now. I'm not sure if reading 23 books in a year is impressive or not, but I at least now know where some of my money went!
  1. Tricky Twenty-Two: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich
  2. Opening Belle: A Novel by Maureen Sherry
  3. The Lie by Karina Halle
  4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
  5. After You by Jojo Moyes
  6. See Me by Nicholas Sparks
  7. Eligible: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld
  8. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
  9. The One That Got Away: A Novel by Bethany Chase
  10. Die for Me by Amy Plum
  11. Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1) by Veronica Roth
  12. Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2) by Veronica Roth 
  13. The Selection by Kiera Cass
  14. The Elite (The Selection Book 2) by Kiera Cass
  15. The One (The Selection Book 3) by Kiera Cass
  16. The Heir (The Selection Book 4) by Kiera Cass
  17. The Crown (The Selection) by Kiera Cass
  18. Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day
  19. Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) by Sylvia Day
  20. Entwined with You (Crossfire, #3) by Sylvia Day
  21. Captivated by You (Crossifre, #4) by Sylvia Day
  22. One with You (Crossfire, #5) by Sylvia Day
  23. Die Young with Me: A Memoir by Rob Rufus 
Now that you've seen the contents of my Kindle, let's talk about which ones you need to add to yours.

     
 

If you could only choose one of the books from the list above to read, I would suggest you pick The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. This was by far my favorite book of the year. Looking over all of the books I have read in 2016, The Nightingale is the one in which I can still remember the most details vividly. It's the book that I still feel when I think about all that took place in the novel. It is the book I won't forget, a book I will most definitely read again.

My second choice would be Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. This is not something I would normally read, but it was highly recommended by a co-worker and she physically handed me the book. How could I say no? It was raw and pure and beautiful. If you do read Me Before You, I highly suggest you immediately follow it with After You. Otherwise, you may never heal.

In the mood for a good series with a fairy tale romance in a dystopia setting? Then you must read The Selection Series. I was engrossed from page one and was thankful that I found the series long after all the books were published - I would not have liked having to wait for the next one to be released. I'm a sucker for a good love story, but add a little drama combined with mystery, and that's even better.

I've read several Nicholas Sparks novels over the years, and I can say that See Me isn't my favorite, but it is certainly close to the top. I am a fan of his books because they are love stories with a mix of thriller in them - not too much, but just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat. That combination, in my opinion, makes for a great book.

Lastly, everyone needs a lighthearted read on their bookshelf. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld is a modern day Pride and Prejudice. It's real life family struggles, fairy tales, and heartbreaks mixed with a whole lot of funny. I couldn't put it down.

I would love to hear what some of your favorite books were this year. I am on the hunt for some good reads.

Oh! Did you happen to notice things looked a little differently on the blog? I unveiled a new design this week and I chatted all about it here - 5 Reasons to Change Your Blog Design Now. I'm loving the new look of my space! What do you think? Any suggestions to make it better?

I am looking forward to a fairly uneventful weekend. I'm hoping to get a little online shopping in and a whole lot of Hallmark.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Linking up with Christina | Five on Friday, Erika | Friday Favorites, Karli | Oh Hey Friday, and Katie | High Five for Friday.

~Trista~

Don't miss a post! Follow along: Bloglovin', Facebook, Instagram, Google Friend Connect, Email Subscribe.

13 comments:

  1. Oh how I needed this post! I have been off my reading game for a few months and been steered in zero directions as to what to read. I'm adding your top pick to my post Christmas to do list! Happy weekend! Sorry about the stomach bug eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the Nightingale and Me Before You were such great books- I totally agree! So glad you all are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Me Before You and cue all the tears! So sorry you guys were sidelined with the stomach bug this week, it's the absolute worst! But look at the bright side, at least it was this week instead of next week with Christmas. Glad you're all feeling better for the weekend <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all are feeling better! My husband got struck done by something similar...I'm terrified that it is coming the direction of SC and me, but such is life. Thanks for sharing your list! My mom actually gave me a copy of The Nightingale, but I hadn't had a chance to read it. I will definitely check it out! My favorite book this year by far was All the Light We Cannot See. You may have already read it, but it is truly worth reading if you haven't! And yes, 23 books in one year with little ones and so many other obligations is impressive to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the good recommendations. I read Eligible. Have you read any of her other books? I liked her American Wife book a lot. I want to check out the Selection series and I have The Nightingale, but haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always on the hunt for book recommendations and will definitely be giving The Selection series a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flew through them! I was hooked from the beginning. It's a bit predictable but nevertheless I could totally read them again. Hope you enjoy them! Let me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  7. I loved Me Before You and the Selection Series. I have Eligible and the Nightingale on my list. Happy Reading! Jess at Just Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. oceanstategirlphotography.blogspot.com
    I try to keep my monthly reads updated in my blog. Some that I did enjoy this year are: One in a Million Boy, A Man Called Ove, The Snow Child, and Bookshop on the Corner. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I wanted to start the selection series so I'm happy to hear you like that and I really liked the crossfire series!! I am currently reading eligible although having a hard time getting into it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness...the Nightingale! I have never skipped to the back of a book before this one. Really good book that really stays with you! I'm pinning this to make notes for later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Selection everywhere--it seems like I finally need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great books that you posted about! I can't wait to read some of those!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I enjoy reading each and every one!

I hope you have a fabulous day! And stay classy through the chaos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...