Monday, December 19

7 must read children's books, 2016 edition

I'm finally finished. I have every single Christmas gift on our list purchased. Of course, there are no guarantees everything will arrive prior to Christmas, but that's the risk you take with waiting until less than a week before the big day and refusing to shop from somewhere other than the comfort of your own home. I vow to do better next year, I do.

Despite the fact that I procrastinate like a boss, I am actually pretty excited about the awesome things I snagged for the family and friends on our list. I would love to share them with you here, but lots of those family and friends read my blog and I'd hate to spoil the surprise.

So, let's take a completely different path and chat about what I can share instead... children's books. If you're looking for some last minute gifts for the little ones in your life, here are 7 books with which you cannot go wrong.


In order of most times read in my household:
  1. Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
  2. Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle and Jill McElmurry
  3. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson
  4. Steam Train, Dream Train by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
  5. Duck on a Tractor by David Shannon
  6. Old MacDonald Had a Truck by Steve Goetz and Eda Kaban
  7. Five-Minute Stories for Boys by Hinkler
My boys absolutely love these books. I have read them countless times. I practically have most of them memorized, and so do they.

      

Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and Steam Train, Dream Train are perfect bedtime reads. Depending on how tired they are, both boys may actually fall asleep while I'm reading either one of these books. They read very much like a lullaby.

    

Little Blue Truck and The Story of Ferdinand are by far favorites because of the great content. They read smoothly and are really quite captivating for a child.

    

Duck on a Tractor and Old MacDonald Had a Truck are ridiculously funny... even to my six year old and two year old. I must admit, even though I try NOT to sing Old MacDonald Had a Truck, it's impossible. I'm just compelled to burst into song.


Five-Minute Stories for Boys is probably most enjoyed by my six year old. There are nine stories included, and they are a little more intriguing and thought provoking than the other books. Confession... they might possibly help my two year old fall asleep. 

I am so thankful my children love books. I can only hope that they maintain that love as they grow older.

I would love to know what are some of your favorite children's books - we are always up for new favorites!

~Trista~

Don't miss a post! Follow along: Bloglovin', Facebook, Instagram, Google Friend Connect, Email Subscribe.

4 comments:

  1. We've read the second row but I lookforward to checking out some of the other picks to share with the girls I take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of a couple of these and a lot of my friends love them for their kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few friends that are expecting and these would be great for them as gifts! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing up all of your Christmas shopping, it's such a great feeling isn't it? I need to pick up the Story of Ferdinand - so cute <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I enjoy reading each and every one!

I hope you have a fabulous day! And stay classy through the chaos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...