Monday, September 14

i can be creative

Oh, hey there Monday. I am not entirely certain where the weekend went to, but it has come and gone once again. I imagine it had something to do with Little L's 1st birthday celebration!

I took a 1/2 day vacation on Friday to party plan. My oldest wanted Little L's birthday party to be Winnie the Pooh, and I agreed that sounded perfect. I managed to find a bakery that was able to make the Pooh cake on short notice, but decorations were impossible. I spent the entire afternoon driving all over town looking for Pooh party supplies, and while driving from place to place, I was calling everyone else. Finally, a party planning place informed me that Winnie the Pooh birthday decorations had been discontinued. I had found some earlier on Amazon but overnight shipping was going to be $100!! I eventually threw in the towel and decided to improvise.

A friend of mine suggested I check Etsy to see if I could find anything to download instantly and print at home or Walmart. I ended up finding this really awesome Happy Birthday Banner by EasyInvites. I am so proud of how well it turned out. I printed the PDF on card stock and cut out each one. I put two hole punches in each and then thread the string through. Little J kept saying, "You're a good cutter, Mommy." It's clear I've missed my true calling (enter sarcasm here). But seriously, doesn't it look great?


I grabbed a few stuffed animals to use as decorations, and purchased red and yellow party supplies from Walmart. Ignore the green tablecloth. I had only planned to use red, but the red alone didn't cover the table. Oops. I happened to have the green on hand, so I used them both. Improvisation at its best.

 

I was so happy with the cakes too. Not only did they look awesome, they tasted amazing.



Little L had so much fun with his smash cake. He really enjoyed the icing. At one point, we thought for sure he was going to stick his face in the whole thing. Here's the aftermath of his t-shirt. 

  
Like the shirt? I made this for Little J's first birthday over four years ago! I picked up the shirt and the iron on letters and print from Hobby Lobby. I chose "Today I Eat Cake" because both boys did not have anything sweet until their 1st birthdays.

Present opening was as you would expect. After opening the first one, he was pretty much smitten. Little J, however, enjoyed opening all of L's toys and then playing with them too. He tried to show L how to use each one. It was really quite precious. I'm certain he was more excited about this party than anyone.

The toy that stole L's heart... the Fisher-Price Go Baby Go Poppity Pop Musical Dino. He absolutely loved the different colored balls. He has carried around one in each hand since it was first opened.
http://amzn.to/1EWV8DH
That's my story. How was your weekend?

I am linking up with Biana, Meg, and Ashley

~Trista~

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet theme for a birthday party and that cake turned out fabulous!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! What a good cutter you are ;) I love the resourcefulness, but am
    Shocked that they discontinued Winnie the Pooh decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun birthday party, great theme. That musical dino is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the banner you did! The party turned out really cute :) Glad he had a good time!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happy birthday banner turned out great! I would have never thought to check out tetsy!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything turned out so cute! I am surprised that it is hard to get Winnie the Pooh stuff, but it really is. We are trying to decorate our baby's space with Winnie the Pooh, and there really isn't that much out there. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really cute party!! Not sure what that toy does, but it looks fun!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omgosh this is fantastic and gives me so many great ideas! I'm really impressed you were able to do so much by yourself too. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The party looks like it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder why it's so hard to find Winnie The Pooh stuff?! The banner looks adorable and the cake looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That banner is cute!! good work. And the dino popper is a big hit at our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute... I think we decorate a lot a like.. I too did my son's first birthday in Pooh :) AND he received that same ball popping dino.. Best of luck keeping track of the balls {after awhile it's a pretty big job}. Enjoy your little one, you could blink and he'll be four :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure within less than a week's time we are down to three!! Oh I know, they grow so so fast. I look at my almost 5 year old and wonder where did time go?! And sadly, I remember so little of him when he was the age of my youngest. :(

      Delete
  13. Etsy is the best for party decorations! I printed Stella's invitations off Etsy. Everything looks so cute! Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I enjoy reading each and every one!

I hope you have a fabulous day! And stay classy through the chaos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...